MenuClose Menu
NEST logo
Access your mails here
Image my account

What evidence do I need to provide to take my money out of Nest?

If you decide to take one of our retirement options, you may need to send us one or more documents as proof of your identity, address and bank account.

This is to ensure your pot is protected and only the rightful owner gets access to your cash.

Please make sure your personal details are kept up to date. If you include you mobile number, we'll text you with an update on your request.

When you request to take your money out of Nest, we do a few checks to validate your personal and bank details.

  • To protect your Nest pot, we send your details over a secure link to Experian to help check your identity. This won't affect your credit rating or any future credit searches.
  • Sometimes we may also need to ask you for proof of identification, address proof and/or bank account ownership to verify your request.

You'll need to send us one or more of the following documents as proof of your identity and your date of birth. You can send us the original documents or their certified copies.

Proof of identity Proof of address Proof of account details
Passport Gas bill Bank or building society account statement
Driving licence (Paper counterpart is not accepted) Water bill Cancelled cheque from the account provided
Birth certificate (Original) Electricity bill  
Statutory declaration Telephone or internet bill  
  Bank or building society account statement  
  Council tax letter  
  • Please note that we can't accept copies of your birth certificate, marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate.
  • If you want to use these documents as evidence of your identity or name change, you'll have to send us the original.
  • You’ll need to take your original identification and a copy to someone currently working in one of the professions listed in the table at the end of this article.
  • We will not accept any evidence certified by a relative or a person living at the same address.
  • The person certifying the copy of identification needs to write or stamp their name, profession, address and telephone number on the copy. 
  • They also need to write on the copy ‘I certify that this is a true copy of the original’ and they must sign and date it.
  • We will accept the evidence if it is certified within the last six months of you sending it.
  • Failure to provide these details may result in your evidence being rejected and is likely to delay our processing of your case.
  • To ensure your documents are certified correctly, please see the examples below.

  • Once we’ve received and verified your original documents they will be sent back to you within five working days. 
  • We will return your evidence in the same manner you send it to us. For example: if you send us the evidence via recorded delivery, we will return the evidence via recorded delivery.

You'll need to send your evidence by post to:

Nene Hall 
Lynch Wood Business Park

To avoid postal delays, please use your Nest secure mailbox to send documents to us electronically. We can’t accept copies of birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificates. If you are sending one of these documents, you’ll need to send the original document by post. 

To send us documents via your Nest secure mailbox: 

  • Log in to your Nest account and click ‘Mailbox’.
  • Click ‘Compose message or chat’ and then click ‘Compose message’.
  • Enter the subject, message type and the text of your message in the Your message field.
  • Click ‘Attach file’ at the bottom of the message to upload your document. You’ll need to send separate emails from your Nest secure mailbox for each of your attachments.
  • Once complete, click ‘Send’.

When using your Nest mailbox:

  • Ensure the attachment file size doesn’t exceed 2 MB. Find out more about how to resize your image file.
  • Don’t compress or zip the files. 
  • Only .jpeg, .gif, .tiff, .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx and .pdf file types can be accepted.

The following professionals can certify your documents:

Accountant Occupational therapist (registered)
Bank/building society official Operating department practitioner (registered)
Barrister Optician (registered)
Chairman/director of limited company Orthoptist (registered)
Chiropodist / podiatrist (registered) Pharmacist (registered)
Clergy or clerk of Holy Orders Paramedic (registered)
Commissioner for Oaths Physiotherapist (registered)
Councillor, e.g. local or county Police officer
Dentist (registered) Post Office official
Dietician (registered) Practitioner psychologist (registered)
Director of a VAT-registered company President/secretary of a recognised organisation
Doctor (Registered medical practitioner) Prosthetist (registered)
An FCA regulated financial services intermediary Radiographer (registered)
Fire Service official Solicitor
Justice of the Peace Speech and language therapist (registered)
Local government officer Chartered surveyor
Midwife (registered) Teacher
Member of Parliament Veterinary surgeon (registered)
Nurse - RGN or RMN Veterinary nurse (registered)

We value your feedback

Your feedback is important to us. To help us improve, tell us what you think about our member help centre by taking a short survey.

Take the survey

Was this helpful to you?

Tell us how can we improve this article?

Cancel Submit

Thank you.


Was this helpful to you?

Tell us how can we improve this article?

Cancel Submit

Live Chat

Our live help agents will answer your questions and guide you through setting up and managing NEST.

Our chat is available from Monday to Sunday from 8.00AM to 8.00PM